Hopefully most of you realize that we just spent five weeks in Uganda with Alisha and Abdul—the entire month of August! This was a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us to be able to spend the time with family, new friends, teaching, preaching, sharing, dreaming, and planning for Terra Nova Academy and what part New Day Network may be able to play in ministry across the globe.
Our flight to London from Seattle was less than pleasant, but we arrived in Uganda safely. Abdul and Alisha met us at the airport—what a true joy to get our arms around them both and to finally meet our new son-in-law! Strangely enough, the first “rattle out of the box” Alan was able to share with our young Muslim driver who was also Abdul’s cousin. Alisha was feeling really ill when they picked us up, so we drove directly to the clinic for her to see a doctor. During the couple of hours it took, Alan visited with our driver, Sula. He said, “Dad, I have been thinking I should consider becoming a Christian...” Please pray with us for Sula, we did not see him again during our stay.
There are so many stories to tell, but we will have to just do some of the highlights. The cottage in Gabba was a beautiful and quiet location overlooking Lake Victoria where we stayed until after the wedding ceremony. Just hanging out and spending time with Alisha and Abdul was an indescribable gift. For those who may be confused, they were legally married in the Ugandan legal system in January, but really wanted Alan to do a sacred ceremony for them. In May we found out we will be grandparents this year! I was able to go with Alisha and Abdul to the hospital where the delivery will take place and heard my grandbaby’s heart beat! Oh, my... indeed, “we are fearfully and wonderfully made”!
On Tuesday, August 2nd Alan was invited to teach a two-hour session at the International School of Missions, a local school for pastors. This was such a precious time for us. Although there is mostly Pentecostal and Catholic influences in Kampala, these pastor’s heard some solid preaching on making disciple-makers. There was a brief Q and A time at the end which was quite enlightening. Alisha taught a class last semester at the school, and she assured us that much of what her Dad shared was completely new concepts to these Ugandan pastors. As a result of this class time, one of the young Pastors arranged for a conference the week after the wedding with about 30 local pastors in his area. There were two adult choirs and a children’s choir at this conference... an hour and one-half into the service Alan finally was able to preach through an interpreter—a precious young woman named Mariam. It was QUITE a cultural experience and blessing!
Of course, the grandest highlight of all was... the wedding. Preparation was intense at times, but it was “all hands on deck” for decorations, cake baking, and all things wedding! We believe it turned out to be a marvelous day of celebration... and a time of intentional testimony as Abdul spoke to the men at his reception about having one wife and honoring God... yep, that’s our new son and we agree with Alisha that he is definitely a KEEPER!
We also learned a great deal about the game of soccer. Who knew? We went with Abdul to watch an Arsenal match one night at a local sports pub... we only had Sprite and Diet Coke, so don’t panic! Terra Nova Soccer Academy was in session during our stay and we got to meet all of Abdul’s players, helped to host the first annual Terra Nova Soccer Cup Tournament the week of our departure, and came to love each and every one of those young men. Abdul has worked with a good number of these boys for 3-4 years and they really listen to him and respect him and are learning team work and integrity. It was a true joy to watch them play and get to share in their journey for a few days.
And now we are back home in Montana... ready to see God do great and mighty things in this valley! Your partnership in our journey is a great treasure to us --we would love to hear from YOU and what the Lord is doing where you live!
Thanks and Blessings...
Just have to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Gene and Pam Young, who faithfully kept ministry alive and consistent in Haugan and St Regis while we went to Uganda. They are truly a blessing to the Lord and to us.
Many of you stand with us in prayer... we thank you deeply for it. Others give faithfully and sacrificially to financially support the work here... we can never thank you enough. Every story we tell, every soul that is touched or changed, YOU share in these victories... that... dear friends... is priceless!
Please Join Us in Praying for...
1. ... Teenagers, children, moms, dads, and families throughout this valley to be drawn to the Lord, convicted of sin, and convinced of God’s great love and mercy to change their lives!
2. ... God’s complete provision for:
• furnishings, equipment, supplies, and materials for the new church start in St Regis (Praise: God has provided a sound system!)
• the monthly building payment in St Regis ($250 is being received toward this, New Day Network is meeting the balance as long as we can)
• the Resource Center on the 3rd Thursday of each month (free food and clothing)
• the continuous need for new people to join our monthly support team (several of our donors have begun giving in other directions this year)
• utilities, food and materials for weekly ministry
• God to ultimately touch the hearts of several who can help pay off the building in St Regis out right
• the possibility of a lot and house in St Regis to call home (we know this would totally be a work of God)
• God’s Spirit to protect every aspect of New Day Network Ministry and New Day Fellowship from any confusion or ungodly influence
• 2 Thessalonians 3:1-5, “Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored, as happened among you, and that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men. For not all have faith. But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one. And we have confidence in the Lord about you, that you are doing and will do the things that we command. May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.”
As always... please send any and all prayers directly to our heavenly Father!
Any financial gifts may be sent to:
NEW DAY NETWORK MINISTRY
PO Box 420013
Haugan MT 59842
[or online @ www.newdaynet.net and click the donate tab]
NOTE: All gifts are tax deductible.